"Work Performance Information" - A project deliverable?

Hello Experts,

I was reading through "6 Integration Management processes".
I understand that "Work Performance Information" is an output of "Direct & Manage Execution" process. By definition, anytime the project produces something in the plan, that "something" is a deliverable of the project.

Thus, is "Work Performance Information" a deliverable?

(I am refering to 'Head First PMP' - 2nd Edition book)

Thanks & Regards,
Amrita Dey

Edited Sat, Jan 28, 2012 12:15 AM

Replies to this Topic

As per my understanding, answer to your question is NO. Since 'Direct & Manage Execution' is a Project Management Process and it's output need not be a deliverable. Also Work Performance Information is used as input to almost all processes from Monitor & Control Process group. 

Where as 'Work Performance Measurements' can be deliverable as it is distributed to various stakeholders.

Hope this clarifies to some extent.

- Mahesh

Hello Amrita,

The answer is 'No'. Is the customer of the project going to use the Work Performance Information after the project is over? If your answer is 'no', then it's not a deliverable. 

I have a 4-part series of articles on this topic on my blog. Here's the link to Part 1:

Work Performance Information vs Performance Reports

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Harwinder

http://www.brainbok.com

http://www.deepfriedbrainproject.com

I agree in totality with Mahesh M. This is a control process that helps get you to details of project performance. EV, SPI, CPI can be part of this measurement from practical Project Mgmt and reporting purposes. check under Monitoring and Control under Rita Mulcahy's charts. 

Hi Amrita, The answer is NO. A deliverable is something that is delivered to and used by the customer/ end user. Work Performance Information is only used to control the project and also to capture lessons learnt.

Hi Amrita

The answer is NO

Part of the executed project management plan includes the routine collection of work performance information. The information gathered is important, and is useful as input data for quality control measures and programs. It is also useful when audits, quality reviews, and process analyses are conducted. This is especially true of work performance information collected which includes technical performance measures, project deliverables status, required corrective actions, and performance reports. Pertinent work performance Information is essential to the project management plan and includes, but is not limited to:

• Status information on schedule progress.
  • Whether deliverables have been completed, or not.
  • Start and finish status of schedule activities.
  • Quality standards expectation results.
  • Authorized costs vs. costs incurred to date.
  • Estimated completion time for scheduled activities in progress.
  • Percentage of physical completion of in-progress schedule activities.
  • Experience based knowledge acquired, documented, and posted to knowledge base.
  • Details of resource utilization.

Gathering and analysis of work performance information is essential to the project management plan and should be considered a priority. Work performance information contributes to the efficient use of resources, identifies potential trouble spots and problems, and serves as an effective project management tool

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite